Cour d'honneur

Courcy house and gardens are registered with the National Trust of France.

Built beetween 1658 and 1663 by Guillaume Le Berseur, it was the third generation heir ,Henry Auguste Hellouin, Marquis de Courcy, who transformed the chateau interiors and grounds during the 18th century .

Upon the Marquis' death in 1791 and his sole heir killed at Quiberon in 1795, Courcy was sold by adjudication. After changing hands several time, the Gatellier family acquired the property at the end of the 19th century and are owners to this day.

During World War II , the house was requisitioned by the Germans: the Wertmartch followed by the SS. Unlike the fate of nearby chateau de Fontenay , Courcy evaded warfare and deterioration for several reasons

The Allies did not bomb or shell the house on D-Day because the property was a parachutist meeting point .

The house was seized by both Allies and Germans soldiers 9 times in 3 days between June 7th and June 9th Therefore neither side was certain at any given time of the occupant          

 In 1944, before the onset of winter, critical repairs to the roof and facade were made by the owner Professor Jean Gatellier , thus deterioration from the elements was avoided ( T the US Navy shell of our only direct hit is used to this day as a counterweight for kitchen roasting spit) .

North View, XVI century
Peek to formal French garden
x